6 Tips to Kissable Lips + Lighten Dark Lips Naturally
A central facial feature, a slight tweak in your lips can change your entire appearance. It's no wonder that the global lip augmentation market size was valued at USD 2.2 billion in 2019 with a 9%+ expected annual growth.
And while we support (and enjoy) all safe methods of aesthetics that make you look and feel your best, we believe that ageless beauty starts with the foundation of health! Achieving and maintaining healthy, kissalicious lips is not as hard as you may think. Below are 7 ways to start nourishing and effectively addressing your lips' health today.
why your lips are different
TIPS for kissable lips + how to lighten dark lips
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Drinking enough water has a myriad of benefits for your entire body, but it is most visible in your lips and skin. Because lips do not have oil glands, they lose moisture very quickly. By drinking plenty of water for your level of physical activity (minimum of 8 cups per day), you will see a noticeable difference in the plumpness of your lips.
2. Exfoliate once a week. While there are many products on the market for this, exfoliating your lips can also be done by simply mixing coarse sugar with your favorite oil - yes, even CBD oil! Although it is not highly moisturizing, CBD oil has a potent anti-inflammatory effect, which is especially useful when scrubbing off dead cells from your sensitive lips. If you prefer to buy your scrubs, make sure it has only natural ingredients.
3. Nightly lip mask. Your lips are left unattended and without water for 5 - 9 hours every day while you are asleep. This is a crucial time - and a great opportunity - to give your lips the rejuvenating, healing rest they deserve. This CALM Lip Balm contains Shea + Cocoa Butter for deep moisturizing, lab-tested CBD oil (no THC) to reduce inflammation and lavender essence for a calming smell to relax you.
4. Detox for luscious lips. Don't worry, no 5-day juice cleanses involved here. We're talking about detoxing your lips with Vitamin C! If you're already taking Vitamin C daily, that's a great way to help your body neutralize free radicals that damage cells and cause premature signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles. This ELEVATE Lip Balm contains a potent dose of Vitamin C derived from uplifting orange flower essence, which can be enjoyed throughout the day.
5. Always put on sunscreen. If the thought of smearing sunscreen on your lips just grossed you out, don't worry. Sunscreen does not have to be messy. UV damage from the sun is not the only one that is wreaking havoc on your lips. High Energy Visible light, or blue light, from your electronic devices is damaging to your skin and even more so to the sensitive skin on your lips. Zinc Oxide is a physical sunscreen that acts as a barrier between UV rays + blue light, and your skin. All MOOD lip balms contain Zinc Oxide.
6. Avoid licking your lips. The need to lick your lips is typically an indication that you are dehydrated. If so, refer to tip #1 and moisturize right away.
How to lighten dark lips
Whether your lips are sun damaged or you naturally have dark lips that you want to brighten, avoid the use of chemicals unless otherwise directed by a licensed medical professional.
Toxic chemicals like hydroquinone are banned in the U.S. (without prescription) and can cause extreme damage to skin and the liver. Instead, consider naturally brightening your lips with a potent combination of lemon oil and turmeric. Both are present in this ILLUMINATE Lip Balm.
To explore all MOOD Lip Balms, click here.
Except where otherwise indicated, statements regarding products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.